Stockport Culture Champions
Stockport Culture Champions
(Culture Buddies info at the bottom)
Are you aged 50 or over with a passion for arts and culture? Stockport Culture Champions is a programme aiming to increase cultural engagement in the town, and we need you!
By joining the mailing list you will be part of a network with opportunities to:
- Give your feedback and ideas about the programme and help to shape culture in Stockport
- Attend creative workshops, digital, culture and heritage training
- Find out about groups & projects and share them with your wider circle of friends, neighbours, family & colleagues
- Meet people and organise social meetups
- Volunteer and support a project or the programme itself
- Help others, in some cases vulnerable groups, connect with people with similar interests, improve your wellbeing through engaging with the arts and others, get active and take more notice of what’s happening in yours or a nearby community
- And, if you choose to and with support from Arc, take on a management role running your own group. event or project!
If you would like to know more about Culture Champions, please contact Hebe, Project Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org or 0161 480 7731 and leave a message to call you back.
For the latest events updates follow us on:
Culture Buddies Mail Art
Connecting isolated people with art & creativity through the post – currently full!
Is someone you know isolated due to a health condition or a lack of digital access and limited access to services and venues? We want to help them to stay connected and creative at home! Participants must be over 50 years of age to take part in the project. Read more about how mail art can improve your mental health here!
Culture Buddies will connect a participant with our ‘buddies’, with whom they will begin a creative exchange through the post. Both parties will receive an Art Pack full of materials and resources to support the creation of their Mail Art. All of the communication will be via Arc Centre at Hat Works so there will be no exchange of address or personal information between ‘buddy’ and participant.
Caroline Coates, lead artist on the project, is busy putting the packs together and training the team of volunteer Buddies. She said:
“I’m really excited about Culture Buddies. By buddying up we will create artist collaborations to further develop art forms you love or learn something completely new.”
There’s no time limit for the project, participants can take their time to either add or create a piece of work inspired by the Mail Art, with the hope that the piece will be sent between participant and buddy a few times, to see how they can influence and inspire one another’s creativity. And maybe in the future they can meet up in person!
One buddy said: “I’m 67 and have have been shielding since I moved into my home in March and have no friends in the area and obviously no visitors, so I think [Culture Buddies] is what I really need. I have no TV and am not online much and don’t like the idea of Zoom meetings and digital hassles, so I get very bored, especially since winter is approaching. It sounds like fun, a challenge and something to give me a bit of motivation. I’m classed as Covid high risk so doing something interesting at home is what I need. There is a post box around the corner too. Tell me more please!”
If you know an older person who is isolating at home and might enjoy taking part or you have questions about the project, please email Hebe at email@example.com
A4 printable sheet with 2 flyers about Culture Buddies here.